Monday, July 22, 2013

Out here is a total different world. God has a plan

July 22, 2013

Well. I'm glad to hear that the wedding went so well! I looked pretty good out there, tell Adam and Jen congrats and I got their letter/announcement. I really appreciated that, I got it on transfer day and it really brightened my day! I'll be honest I have know idea about the excitement in SD, and PX or that rescue. We're kind of locked off from that kind of info.. And Dad let me know about the people staring at him and his theory that your room is merely a warehouse made to look like your room. Needless to say I'm a bit sad to be missing the adventures of medicated Dad. But I'm having plenty of adventures out here!
Let me tell you about my new companion. A nice young man named Elder Bartlett. Elder Bartlett is from none other than..... South Jordan, Utah!! We're neighbors. He lives down by the river bottoms. He just graduated from high school and turns 19 in a couple weeks.  We're both small white guys with glasses so that's fun. But I'm bigger so I've become the enforcer now.
Let me tell you about the area. We cover the Merril Creek and the Signal Butte 1st ward. They were previously covered by the Zone Leaders out here in Superstition, but they split the area. So they cover the other two and we took over these ones. One of the Elders that served here right before us, Elder Armstrong, actually just left to be the Assistant to the President. So the area is in pretty decent shape. It just hasn't had the love and attention it needs because they covered 4 wards and they were Zone Leaders. We have 4 baptisms this Saturday. Lori, Robbie, and Joe. A family. And Jessica. We are very excited for all of them.

We live in a quaint little place called the Jafa Apartments. Pretty ghetto. As far as Arizona goes at least. We're on the border of AJ and Mesa, so technically we have a Mesa address but I guess we're in a "County Island" so we belong to neither city. But right across the street is AJ. Pretty interesting stuff.

This week was pretty tough, just trying to get to know everyone and the streets right not! This area is far bigger than my last, not huge but bigger. I'm definitely learning a lot. And I'll be honest my last area was a little Utah. It really was. But out here is a total different world. I mean we have nice areas but most of it is trailers and junk. People just talk about all of the people on drugs on stuff, it's a real 'compelled to be humble' kind of place. I looooooooove it. The work is going to move forward so strong I can't wait. We have awesome ward mission leaders and awesome members to top it off.
Miracle moment. Remember Jerry, the one that was in prison that I helped out in my last area? Well, I was bummed because he'd moved out to AJ and we heard that the missionaries stopped by once and then they weren't helping him out anymore. Well... I walk into Merril Creek sacrament meeting and who do I see? None other than my good ol friend Jerry. We had one of the greatest reunions I'd ever seen and the smile on his face when I told him I was serving in the ward and we were going to help him out made everything better. God has a plan.

Love Elder Alexander



                                                          Big Daddy Jesus. He's the man.


 This is the infamous Hector, Sarah, and Lil Hector. Sarah changed so much in my time there. I'm sad I wasn't able to see her enter into the baptismal font but I know she will. Hector gave me one of the most sincere thank you's and he finally prayed!!!! It was incredible.


 Pacheco and his family. This family rules, they're in the Windsor Ward. (They gave me the shoes.)


 This is Brother and Sister Lambson. They're one of my favorite families in the Greenfield Park Ward.


 Brother Olson. Ward Mission Leader. He's getting me some leather scripture cases straight out of El Salvador.


Tyler got back from his mission right before I got to the area. He helped us out a lot. Love the guy. He served in North Carolina and he knew Garrett Steed.


Sean and the rest of the clan. (Minus the daughter). Sean gave me a big ol hug when I went to leave. I got all of their emails and I'm going to keep on em until they're all baptized!



                                 This is Sister Crisp cutting me hair. Gotta look obedient for the greenie.


I looked pretty good out there!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment