Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Atonement can help us today in a very real way.

Oct 6, 2014
Hello!
That's awesome that you are all going to watch Meet the Mormons,
President Jenkins already saw it and he definitely suggests it! We are
going to see it on the 15th, we have a Family History training at the
Family History Library and then they're going to show it right after.
I'm pretty excited. :)

The wedding is coming along great! And so are J----- and G------,
they are seriously so awesome. The have a dress, a rig, J------ has an
outfit, the building is scheduled, we have flowers and decorations,
Bishop will be there, and we found a member who is going to take a
swing at making a wedding cake. :) We taught J---- and G------
about the Word of Wisdom and Law of Chastity Wednesday afternoon with
Brother Owens and it went really well. They are so accepting and
really get it. We also watched Conference with them on Sunday, both
sessions, with the McKays. They loved it!

This week was full of cancellations... I have found on my mission that
those come quite often. A member, Brother Cooper, helped me understand
more fully why that happens last night when we were visiting him. We
told him about a particularly tough day, Wednesday. We have roughly
eight set appointments and seven of them canceled that day. We got
home, planned, and went straight to bed. He told us that on his
mission he realized those days happened often too. He said he
eventually realized that those happened and when they did it was
completely out of his control (that darn agency thing). And that made
him realize that when a day went really well it still was out of his
control and was simply the power of God. I really loved that! And it
is super true. (Speaking of cancellations both of our set appointments
just cancelled tonight... Good thing we have back ups!)

We have had the opportunity to help he M------ family out this week
quite a bit. Their daughter has been having some real struggles with
anxiety and depression. She has little spurts of thoughts due to her
anxiety that cause her to almost harm herself. Her family has to
restrain her until she calms down and the thoughts leave. We were able
to go on Friday and Saturday and give her a blessing with members and
then teach them on Sunday night. I had a really comforting feeling the
first night we gave her a blessing and they told me her full name.
God knows her, He is aware of her and loves her. We were able to tell
her that last night and even though the thoughts would come and she
would try to resist in the end the member gave her a calendar of Jesus
and we committed her to look at the Savior and let him chase those
thoughts away. The Atonement is real, Christ suffered for more than
just our sins. In Alma 7 it talks about Him taking upon Himself our
infirmities and I know that is true. The Atonement can help us today
in a very real way.

I loved Conference! I especially loved Elder Uchtdorf's Priesthood
Session talk because self evaluation is something I have always
struggled with. I also loved Elder Bednar's, it was awesome! His story
of the boys and the ointment and bandages leading them to naturally
share what had blessed them is exactly what we have been emphasizing
in our ward! The more we realize what the Atonement can do and has
done for us the more we will desire to help others feel it also. I
also loved how he apologized for us being awkward, abrupt, and
relentless. :) Missionary in a nutshell!

Guess who we saw this morning! A----- and L-----!!! :) We were going to
get the van washed and we got to Country Club Rd, which is the
boundary of our mission, and I almost crossed it on accident but in a
last effort I turned sharply into some church that was feeding the
homeless. Everyone was confused why I turned in but then we looked
over and A---- and L----- were driving by! We were able to pull over
and talk to them. He is working for one of my previous Bishop's, Bishop
King, down in Lehi. They looked so happy and this morning I was
actually thinking about them! :)

Well I love you and I send my prayers out to the Binford's. Let them
know I love them. I love you all.

Elder Alexander

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment