Monday, August 11, 2014

Eternal life is knowing the Savior and Our Father in Heaven.

July 21, 2014
Hello, hello. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures of me hiking, and yes
I did really go hiking like that. Actually we went again last P Day
and I had another outfit. I will send you more pictures of that today.
On the way down from our hike me and Elder Ault had to shimmy down a
waterfall (obviously no water in it right now because it's hot as
death) and encountered a wasps nest and many other adventures. We
don't really stick to a trail, we just go out into the barren
wasteland that is the Arizona wilderness and explore. So there's no
one else really around, it's a blast.

That is pretty crazy that Jordan gets home so soon, and then they'll
all start trickling in after him! It stills feels like yesterday that
we all left, I can't believe it has been a year since I went out to
Apache Junction! I went to a baptism out there on Saturday. Elder
Petersen, who served here and was my Zone Leader out there came back
to speak. It was good to see him. It was weird that he was Bruce
instead if Elder Petersen though haha. I also saw Elder Bartlett, he
is doing good. He is serving in the stake right next to mine, Central.
Good kid. Also saw Elder Tueller this week haha, crazy to see how much
a mission changes people.

I'm super happy to hear about Joey headed to Mexico! He will do
awesome, I keep meaning to write him but then I get distracted and do
other stuff that's probably not as important... P Day's sure are a
struggle.

So things in the Ward are going good. We taught D..... again on Monday
night and it was awesome. We read 3 Nephi chapter 11 with her up to
when Christ calls up Nephi and gives him authority to baptize. That
led into a discussion more fully concentrated on how the authority
that Christ had was restored to the Prophet Joseph Smith. She totally
gets it and asks some awesome questions. She asked about Polygamy and
I turned to Elder Ault who in turn turned to Brother Fenn (the member
that came with us) and he just laughed and answered haha. As we were
leaving I said to him, "Thanks for taking that polygamy bullet. I'm
not very good with geometry." He thought that was pretty funny. We are
going with her to the Visitor's Center tonight to watch the Joseph
Smith movie, pray that she keeps the appointment!

We are also teaching a couple new people tonight. There is a Sister in
our Ward that hasn't been to church in a long time and has recently
started coming back. She has a son that is 10 and hasn't been
baptized, his name is K..... She has also been bringing her friend
named M..... to church and he wants to learn too! A family in our Ward,
the Hughes, is going to have them over tonight and we are going to
teach them. Miracles. Also a few weeks ago we stopped by a guy named
B...... that some other missionaries had talked to and he had said to
give him a couple weeks to read the Book of Mormon. We went back on
Saturday and he hadn't read but invited us back this week to read with
him. He told us he really is looking for a church to raise his 14
month old son in but he likes drinking too much to give it up. We will
see about that! He is an awesome guy, super nice. I just love having
the opportunity to teach people.

1 John 2:1-6 says:
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.
And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ
the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but
also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a
liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God
perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even
as he walked.

I have been studying the New Testament and I am just about finished.
This week I read the three Epistles of John and these scriptures stood
out to me. Especially verse three. In John 17:3 the Savior says, "And
this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and
Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." Eternal life is knowing the Savior
and Our Father in Heaven, getting to know who they really are. Their
personality, their love, everything. And how do we do that? By being
obedient to His commandments and becoming like Him. That is the only
way to truly know WHO God and Jesus Christ are. I'm thankful to get to
know Him better as I strive to better follow His example and walk in
His footsteps.

Love you!

Elder Alexander

P.S.- Wish Grandma Alexander a late happy birthday from me!

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment