Monday, August 11, 2014

The work reeeeeeally picked up!

July 28, 2014
Hello, hello. To answer your question, He is a Ward
Missionary in our Ward. He is awesome. We were over there talking
about a member in our Ward that he is working with, and then he
started telling us stories like he always does. You did get me in a
little trouble with that picture comment but oh well!!

This week was great. The work reeeeeeally picked up! On Monday we met
with K. He is 10 and his mom is returning to activity. Before we
even started teaching he exclaimed, "I want to get baptized!!" He has
a super hard time paying attention but he understands the gospel very
well. He gets it. And then on Wednesday we went and taught him again
but this time his Mom's friend, M......, that has been coming to
church with her the last couple months was there. He is seriously so
prepared. He told us how he was raised Baptist and then tried
Catholicism but neither felt right. He told us that since he has been
coming to church it just feels right. We were able to teach him the
Restoration and since he went to a "Bible College" (it was a two year
college with different classes in the Bible. He knows it pretty well)
the concepts we taught made sense. In the end he told us he would get
baptized when he gets an answer that the Book of Mormon is true. We
are going to set a date with him and K..... for August 30th tonight!
Pray for them.

Another awesome experience. There is a part member family (she's a
member and he isn't) in the apartment complex that no one has been
able to contact. We have stopped by multiple times trying to meet them
but could never get ahold of them. Well, we thought we would try and
call her and she answered! We set up an appointment and met them
Friday afternoon. They are awesome. They both actually grew up in
Utah, she was born in Cali and he was born in New York but they moved
to Utah when they were 12, and moved down here in January. She hasn't
been active for a long time and he said he really didn't have any
Mormon friends. We got to know them and then in the end he asked how
frequently we visit and we told him whenever they want us there, so we
are going by this Friday for lunch!

We also taught Fr....and his mother D....... this week. He still isn't
ready to get baptized but we aren't sure why. This week we are going
to teach him all about the temple and their importance.

I love the Ward! We have so many great members and I feel super
welcome. And guess what. I'm staying another transfer! Me and Elder
Ault will be companions for our third full transfer. We are keeping
the mini van and are just in the Ward. My Zone Leader companion
will be Elder S....... He was in the trio with me and Elder Ault. He
is going to be in the 60th Ward in the same stake that we are in on a
bike. I'm super excited!

Well I hope you have a great week. In parting I wanted to share an
awesome experience that I had this week. Yesterday afternoon I got a
message on Facebook from a Sister that is serving in one of the Wards
I started my mission in. Around the time I left we were working with a
Less Active member that struggled with an addiction to alcohol. This
Sister told me that a year ago, just before I left, we gave him a
blessing. I hardly remember it but she told me that since that
blessing, a year ago, he hasn't had a single drink. I can remember how
down trodden this man was when I saw him, how trapped he was. The
constant struggle he had everyday. To know that through the
Priesthood, the power of God, that was taken from him and that I had
the opportunity to be a part of it brings me more joy than I can
explain. I know that God is real. This week it was confirmed to me
that He is, He loves us and wants us to turn to Him. He answered my
prayers this week, a subtle reminder that my daily efforts were and
are making a bigger difference than I realize. I may not ever fully
understand exactly what comes from everything I do out here but I know
that as I'm obedient God will consecrate my efforts.

Loves,

-Elder Alexander

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment