Monday, August 11, 2014

We had tons of opportunities to serve this week.

Aug 4, 2014
Hello Hello!!
Things are going really well... Let me see if I can remember everything! But first I wanted to start out with my testimony. God knows me really well. I can see so many experiences as I look back in my mission so far and see why I am in Mesa, Arizona. Why I served in each area. Both for the people I was able to meet and the simple experiences that have changed me. I learn more about myself and about God every day because of my surroundings. 

Last P Day they had to borrow our van for transfers so we got to drive Sister Jenkins' car for a couple days. It is a Toyota Corolla. I really missed the van but that's ok. We also had another Elder with us from Monday to Wednesday, his name is Elder M...... He was companions with Elder D....... who went home Monday night so he stuck around with us for a few days. We taught K..... Monday night. We had this wooden puzzle that outlined the Plan of Salvation that really helped him understand the entire concept. He is a great kid. In the end we told him we would get him one of the puzzles and he asked if he could have ours, which is owned by Elder Ault. Elder Ault told him that it had his name on it already. To that K..... responded, "Wow. Signed by real life missionaries?" It was too precious to pass up haha. I signed it too and we gave it to him on Wednesday. Elder Ault went with Elder S.... (Elder S.....'s companion) to teach K.... and M..... on Wednesday and it went really well. K.... wants to go to the Celestial Kingdom! We are setting the date tonight.

We had tons of opportunities to serve this week. We helped a Less Active sister reorganize her shed. As we talked to her she was really open with us and told us she knows she needs to come back to church (we didn't even bring it up) and she will. We are to keep visiting her. We also served a couple of people who aren't members of the church. We helped a lady named S..... cut up some branches that had blown into her yard in a storm. As a thank you she called us back the next day and gave us some homemade jam. We also helped a family, whose last name is Firethunder, by painting their orange tree. The Dad stayed out and talked with us for a large part of the time. It ends up he was in the Air Force (so many people in this Ward were in the Air Force!) and was in training to do what Elder Ault wants to do when he got injured. We are going to go back and talk with him soon. It really is true that people soften when you serve them. The Ward trusts us and are willing to extend their help and invitations to their neighbors!

We were able to meet with D..... this week and watch the Joseph Smith movie. There is a part where Joseph Smith is walking around the streets of New York and a preachers starts spouting out false doctrine about how God has predetermined who will be saved. Since we were at her house she paused it and said, "I don't agree with that." She thought that was part of our doctrine and we were able to explain that Joseph didn't agree with that either! She asks great questions, she asked us about why we are subject to man's changing laws. We didn't have a sufficient answer at that time so we told her we would study it. Our Bishop helped us find answers from Christ's life, like the stories of catching the fish with the coin in it and rendering to Caesar that which is Caesar's. We also found some great answers in Doctrine and Covenants 134. There are answers to every question! After the movie it really seemed like D..... was searching. We are praying she receives an answer!

I believe that I told you about K... and ....l. Right? They're the young couple in the apartments? Well I had a meeting on Friday, so Elder Ault went with Elder S...... and they saw them again. It ends up they are running low on food so they wanted to meet with bishop, they were able to meet with him right after sacrament yesterday. Although A..... had to take off to work right before Bishop could meet with them K..... ended up staying for Relief Society. We talked to them for awhile as we waited for Bishop to be ready and apparently they went to the Gilbert Temple Open House and loved it! K..... told us after he left that he would probably want to learn more. They're awesome and we are going to the church with them tomorrow for employment night.

What else.... The meeting I had on Friday was MLC. All of the District Leaders came as well. It was an awesome meeting. We counseled about a lot of things and really got back to the basics. A lot of unnecessary meetings have started happening in the mission and President out an end to it. I'm excited for this transfer.

I hope you know I love ya!

P.S.- A lady bore her testimony yesterday and gave a 20 minute history of the incredible town of Panaca, Nevada. It was pretty crazy. You should have seen Bishop's face!!

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment