Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Feb 05, 2013

First letter from Mesa AZ

Well, I'm in Arizona! The flight went pretty well. Remember how Elder Armatage had lost his wallet and we were waiting for his ID? Well it never came so he and two other Elders (Corbridge and Van Noy) from our District stayed with him and me and Elder Keeler caught the flight. The other three had to fly out at 11:30 and met us at the mission office in Scottsdale. 
The first night I went out with a companionship and as a trio we went to different appointments. And then I slept at their house with them that night. It was pretty good experience. I shared my favorite scripture with the couple that we ate dinner with (John 14:27). It ended up that they were both recovering alcoholics and my message of turning to the Lord for comfort instead of the Lord was really comforting for them. I wrote the scripture on a sticky note and they put it on their mirror. Then I went and met some of the members in the area, I don't know if that one member sent you those pictures he took but he did and I gave him Dad's email. Anyways, I was somewhere in Phoenix that night. FUN FACT: My mission actually covers 2/3 of Phoenix. Which I found interesting.
So when I awoke we had to be over to the mission office in Scottsdale by 7 for our transfer meeting. Which didn't start until 10. But the missionary I was with was becoming a trainer so he had additional meetings. So we had a little devotional, learned lots. And then came the unveiling of where I would be spending the next three weeks. And who with. Sooooooooooo.
I'm in Mesa. The Southern boundary of my area is the southern border of our mission. I'm in a pretty nice area of Mesa, it reminds me of a nice combination of St. George and Riverton. With Palm Trees, giant cacti, and lemon and orange trees tossed in. I quite enjoy it. A lot of members, and a lot of work to be done. And guess what. It's a biking area!! I have been borrowing our Zone Leaders bike (Elder Moala. New Zealander.) but it's huge haha. But I can manage for now. We'll have to figure out the bike situation soon. But the first couple days here the weather was nice. Didn't have to wear our jackets during the afternoon because it was around 75. Awesome right? Well, it has been getting colder now. Which isn't too exciting. Today as we came to the stake center (Family History Center is here and it's where we do emails) it was freezing. And it was raining. I know the summers are going to be killer but I want to be a little warmer. 
My trainer is Elder Weston. He has been out for 18 months, and he's from Logan. I'll send you pictures next week. A lot of em. From the MTC and such. I forgot my camera today. 
I have had a couple struggles since coming out in the field. I mean I got comfortable in the MTC and now I miss those guys a lot. And I have little spurts of homesickness. But I know I can get over this bump and I just keep reminding myself why I am here. One of my hardest days came on Friday. We went and helped an investigator, named Dori, pack up her stuff as she prepares to move next week. As we helped her move we talked about the Book of Mormon and got rid of her concerns. I was able to explain Joseph Smith and such pretty well a felt. But someone had shown her the Godmakers movie. She had concerns about that, we told her through the Book of Mormon we are able to learn and gain a testimony. Things were going well. And then she broke down and told us about the divorce she is going through.
I was so heartbroken when we got back to our house. (Which is a member home. Basically split in half. Pretty nice.) I kind of felt like as missionaries we were just waiting for peoples lives to fall apart through things like divorce, or death, or moving away from family, etc. And I was terrified because I didn't know how I could handle it for two years. I kept having these thoughts all day. I was just wishing that people could accept the gospel without us searching for these tragedies. And I hated looking for them. So I kept praying for understanding and comfort from the Lord. Throughout the day.
Then I started to think about my favorite song before I came out, Blood by The Middle East. It's a song about those things in life. Somebody having to leave their family. A divorce. And a loved one dying. Those situations we keep our eye out for. People may think this song is really sad because it goes through these situations one by one and then the last line spoken is, "There's nothing you can do about it now." But then a children's choir does these ooooo's and ahhhh's stuff for a while at the end. And the song changes tone. It's hopeful. And that's what this gospel is. Hope. As I prayed for understanding I began to realize these things in life, these trials, can be truly unavoidable. But unless I am out here spreading the hope and salvation of this gospel, that hope is very avoidable. (I hope I'm making sense.) There IS something you can do about it. Turn to the Savior, and that's what I am here to help these people understand. I wish they could understand and accept the gospel without having these hardships but I will be there to bring them the gospel to lift them up. And I went deeper, the children's choir at the end represent the people enduring these trials coming childlike before Christ and having hope. 
Ok, enough with this deep stuff. Hope that made sense, it has just been running though my mind. But I'm feeling better now. Still have my struggles. I hope everything's going well with you guys! It was nice talking to you on the phone. I miss and love you guys a lot. Send me any questions you have. 
 Also I got my bedding and your nice letter. I sure love you guys a lot. I can admit that I am having some struggles but I want you to know that I'm ok. I have my ups and downs but I am relying so heavily on the Savior and I feel his presence. I love you guys so much. Thank you for the unconditional love you have shown me. It has helped me so much. Let me know how the family is. Did Adam get my package? Our President is awesome. Love the guy. Well we actually have an appointment with a man named Jay, even though it's P Day. We're  just work workin. So I have to go. Love you again.
I love you guys a whole ton. Thank you so much for everything! Tell everyone I say hello! 

Love Elder Alexander 

PS- I had authentic carne asada my first night with Elder Weston. I could just feel Dad's jealousy with every bite.




Since Elder Armatage lost his wallet. I had to pay for his luggage fee. It's all good

Mission President Ellsworth and Sister Ellsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment