Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Lovin the MTC Jan 31, 2013


Hey ohhhhhhhhhhh,
 I  see Elder Johnson usually everyday at one of our meals which is fun, he is doing really well. I really admire the people here that are learning the language and learning to teach the gospel because it's tough enough learning to teach by the Spirit! But me and my companion have come leaps and bounds since we both arrived here. The other day we taught both of our teachers as their investigator alter ego, Frankie and Coulsen, and we decided before we went in to Frankie we were going to extend the invitation to be baptized andddddd.... He said if he receives a confirmation that the Book of Mormon is true that he would change anything in his life and do it. The Spirit seriously pulsed through me, it was the weirdest sensation but even though he is just my teacher acting I really felt the love of Our Heavenly Father as I helped invite one of his children to come unto Christ. It was incredible. That same day with Coulsen we were just planning on recapping and getting rid of his concerns whilst strengthening his faith in Christ. But things went so well and me and Keeler were able to teach by the Spirit. At the end of the lesson I was urged and prompted to invite him to baptism as well. And he said the same thing!! This gospel is amazing. Another story. I already wrote you a letter about Haley, but it was just so incredible I would like to tell you about it again. So Haley was a TRC Volunteer. I really think she was a real investigator, or she was the best actress in the world. She grew up around members of the church and had gone to girls camp. She told uas about the feeling she had during testimony meeting while she just listened. And boom goes the dynamite, she had already felt the Spirit. So while teaching her the Restoration of this gospel we taught her to pray, and helped her recognize the Spirit in her life. She was tearing up the whole time as she talked about how her family wasn't as close as other families she had grown up around. We taught her about how big of a blessing the gospel can be in our relationships and she agreed with us. We went over the last two paragraphs of the Book of Mormon introduction with her and invited her to read and pray about it. SHe told us she wanted to and that she would, I wish we could meet with her again. BUT the good part was when we asked if she would offer the closing prayer. We prayed first just to show her exactly what to do and then we kneeled in prayer with her. The Spirit was so strong, as she prayed to know the truth like me and my companion. It just hit me how lucky I am to have a testimony and how so many people want and need it in their lives. Needless to say there were a few tears shed and me and Elder Keeler were so uplifted by the Spirit.
 Also, I haven't told you about Elder Baker. He was converted 18 months ago. He's 25 and he is head to Atlanta. I love him so much, we did role plays and I acted as the missionaries that taught and baptized him. In real life he asked to be baptised the first lesson but he made it a little tougher on me haha. He asked me questions that he really asked them when he was taking the lessons and they through me through a loop, a couple of em. He's black so he said he heard that they used to not be able to be members of the church. I thought I did decent in explaining why, but he kind of helped me. It was an incredible learning experience. He was the sweetest Spirit I have ever come across. Last night I was just chattin with my room mates and I mentioned that I might want to by one of those small hymn books. Just cause, ya know? Well, Elder Baker was standing in the door way and he comes back and says here have this one. I have another. He'ls just the best. I'll get a picture with him so you guys can see him.
 Everything is going really good. I'm getting more and more confident in my ability to listen to the Spirit and I am so excited/scared to teach to real people in Mesa. Arizona Rules. Soooooo many people are from Arizona that I have met and they just tell me the coolest things. Apparently by the Mesa temple it's pretty ghetto and most of the store signs and stuff are in Spanish haha. But they say the food is da best.
 I don't have my letters that you wrote so I can't remember what other questions you had..... I haven't seen Elder Townsend yet, but I'm keepin an eye out. I also got my haircut today which felt pretty nice but it wasn't as good of a cut as Katie's was. Oh well. Elder Keeler likes Wicked and finished LOST mere weeks before arriving at the MTC so needless to say we get a long pretty darn well. Live together, Die Alone.
 This past Tuesday the Devotional was really good. The speaker was L. Whitney Clayton of the Seventy. I'm pretty sure he's in the presidency. He spoke about the importance of companions and how we need to take care of each other. Here at the MTC we just stick as a District mostly so I'm with 5 other Elders most of the time (And they rule, I love my District) so I'm a little nervous to be with one Elder all the time. But I'm excited!! I'm not sure what my address will be when I get to Mesa so until you hear otherwise I guess you just send stuff to the mission home? Not really sure how it works. My favorite thing he said was talking about Alma and Amulek and how Alma needed Amulek's second witness to convince the people of Christ even though he was a great prophet.
 Are you guys trying to get me fat? When I said I wanted packages I didn't mean I wanted to gain 30 pounds. (I have gained one pound in here though) I mostly just give a lot of the candy to the huskier Elders. (Watson and Taufa) And then we have this thing called "the altar" (The ironing board) where you leave the stuff you're not taking with you and other people can just take what they need. This is a great place. I'm excited to leave, but it isn't anything to complain about. I've grown a lot, I sit different now. I cross my legs.... It's more comforable I guess.
 Well I'm down to 3 minutes, so I have to hurry. But I love you guys a lot. Thank you so much for raising me in the gospel and helping me get to this point. I miss you guys, not that much, but a little.
 
Going to be in Mesa in T minus 5ish days. #Arizona4life

Love Elder Alexander e

No comments:

Post a Comment